Value Added Tax, or VAT, is levied on top of the cost of a product or service and generates revenue for a government.
Value Added Tax, popularly known as ‘VAT’, is a special type of indirect tax in which a sum of money is levied at a particular stage in the sale of a product or service.
In 1954, the value added tax system was initiated by the then joint director of the tax authority of France, Maurice Laure. VAT came into effect for the first time on 10th April, 1954.
From its inception, the value added tax system was imposed on all major sectors of France - the first country to use this system. Once instituted, it was immediately clear that revenues collected from the VAT system constituted a substantial share of the government’s revenue in the French economy.
The value added tax system deals with these problems quite efficiently. As VAT is imposed on value addition - at every single stage - there is no incidence of cascading. In this way, the final consumers bear the burden of paying value added tax. This system involves absolute transparency at every stage of taxation, thereby making the tax system quite comprehensible and simple.
In some countries like India, the system of VAT has been designed to change the existing system of sales taxation. Value added tax is different from the conventional system of sales tax, because VAT is charged at every stage of value addition - whereas sales tax is imposed on final value of transaction only.
The value added tax system allows for input tax credit, or ITC, on the amount of tax levied at the preceding stage of the value addition chain. The allowance for ITC is normally appropriated from the value added tax liability imposed on the following stage of the sale of the product.
Not surprisingly, due to the ease of payment and ready comprehensibility, the value added tax system has been adopted by different nations across the world.
VAT is intended to be levied - or charged - whenever there is some value addition to raw material. The taxpayers on the other hand, will get credit for the amount of tax paid off at the stages of procurement. The value added tax system has proven to be effective in avoiding problems that normally might arise out of the double taxation of goods and services.
The value added tax system is designed to address various problems associated with the conventional sales tax system. In sales tax, there is no provision for input tax credit, which means that the end consumer may pay tax on an input that has already been taxed previously. This is known as cascading and leads to increases consumer tax and price levels, which increases the rate of evasion and can be detrimental to economic growth.
- #KARACHI #MONSOON (1)
- 7 key skills of a project manager (1)
- ACCOUNTING (39)
- ACCOUNTING AND AUDIT SERVICES AVAILABLE (1)
- ACCOUNTING AND MARKETING SERVICES (1)
- Accounting for Bills of Exchange (1)
- Accounting scandals (1)
- ad (3)
- Advertisement (7)
- AMALGAMATION PRACTICE EXERCISES (1)
- B.COM (12)
- B.COM REGULAR 2011 EXAMS (1)
- BILA UNWAN 29/09/2013 بلا عنوان (1)
- BILA UNWAN 30/09/2013 بلا عنوان (1)
- Branch Accounting (1)
- Budget (1)
- Budget 2012-13 (1)
- Budget 2013-14 pakistan (1)
- BUDGET 2014-15 (1)
- BUDGET 2014-15 SALIENT FEATURES (1)
- Business SWOT Analysis - Threats is an Opportunity (1)
- Capital Budgeting (1)
- CERTIFICATE HOLDERS (1)
- COACHING CLASSES FOR B.COM (1)
- COACHING CLASSES FOR COMMERCE STUDENTS (3)
- COACHING CLASSES FOR COMMERCE STUDENTS: (2)
- COACHING CLASSES FOR FIA-ACCA STUDENTS IN KARACHI (1)
- Commerce (1)
- COST ACCOUNTING (11)
- Cricket (1)
- Decentralization (1)
- Dividend (1)
- Economics (26)
- EDUCATION (3)
- EID MUBARAK (1)
- ENRON Scandal Summary (1)
- Entertainment (2)
- Evolution of Tax Culture in Pakistan (1)
- EXEMPTIONS AWARDED BY ICAP TO VARIOUS DEGREE (1)
- fia acca (1)
- Finance (1)
- FOOD STREETS OF KARACHI: HUSSAINABAD AND AYESHA MANZIL (1)
- FREELANCE AUDIT (1)
- GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO MARKET YOUR BUSINESS (1)
- HISTORY (1)
- HOLDING COMPANIES (1)
- I.COM AND O/A LEVEL (1)
- icmap (1)
- Investment (1)
- Investment Decision (1)
- IQRA EDUCATION NETWORK AND CONSULTANTS: (1)
- JAVED CHOUDRY (1)
- javed chowdry on burma muslim killings (1)
- Joint Products and Joint Product Cost (1)
- KARACHI UNIVERSITY (1)
- KARACHI UNIVERSITY DATE SHEET (1)
- Khula is not regarded as a talaaq even if the word talaaq is used (1)
- MA ECONOMICS (7)
- management (3)
- Management Accounting (14)
- Marital Issues-khula (2)
- Maslow's Theory of Motivation - Hierarchy of Needs (1)
- Methods of Costing By-Products: (1)
- Movies (1)
- NEW YEAR (1)
- O/A LEVELS (1)
- PARTNERSHIP ACCOUNTS PIECEMEAL DISTRIBUTION (1)
- Politics (3)
- Post Keynesian Economics (1)
- Result (2)
- REVOLUTIONIZING RAMADAN (1)
- RISK ANALYSIS TECHNIQUES (1)
- Segment Reporting and Transfer Pricing: PART 1 (1)
- Sports (1)
- Steps to the Accounting Cycle (1)
- Stock Exchange (1)
- SYLLABUS (2)
- TIME TABLE (1)
- TIMINGS AND VENUES OF EID PRAYERS IN KARACHI (1)
- Top Story (1)
- TOPI DRAMA (1)
- TQM (1)
- Transfer pricing (1)
- Types and Classification of Bill of Exchange (1)
- UNOFFICIAL DATE SHEET B.COM KARACHI UNIVERSITY EXAMS 2011 (1)
- vat (1)
- What is a Term Finance Certificate (TFC) (1)
Accounts receivable, inventory, and total quality management
B.COM PART 1 AND 2 COACHING CLASSES FOR SUPPLEMENTARY EXAMS. HOME AND COACHING. ACCOUNTING, STATISTICS AND ECONOMICS OF PART 1. ADVANCED...
University Of Karachi M.A. (Previous) and M.A. (Final) Examination IN ECONOMICS SCHEME OF STUDIES M.A. (Previous) 1. The examination for deg...
MA-ECONOMICS PRIVATE KARACHI UNIVERSITY,REGISTRATION DATE EXTENDED.
B.COM 1 & 2 ACCOUNTING, STATISTICS, ECONOMICS, ADVANCED ACCOUNTING, INCOME TAX LAW JOIN SIR KHALID 0322-3385752 R-1173,AL NOOR SOCIETY,...
C.A. is sometimes used to identify the Chief Accountant & Chartered Accountant CAD see CASH AGAINST DOCUMENTS. CAFR see Comprehensive ...
MA-ECONOMICS FOR EXTERNAL CANDIDATES CRASH CLASSES PREVIOUS & FINAL MICRO ECONOMICS MACRO ECONOMICS ADVANCED STATISTICS FOR ECONOMICS...
INCOME TAX FOR B.COM STUDENTS
In 1943, Dr. Abraham Maslow 's article "A Theory of Human Motivation" appeared in Psychological Review, which were further e...
For Other Professional Qualifications All candidates seeking exemptions are required to apply on the prescribed Exemption form alongwith the...